For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:11-13
WHY DO WE PRAY?
The question looks so simple to answer, if you ask any one around, they will speak to you volumes of their heart desire. In this edition of Voices From Zion, you will be opened to reasons why people pray and the main reason why we must pray unto God. Come along
We were thought in our churches, by our teachers and gospel counselors ‘what prayer is. These were few among the definitions given to prayers:
- Prayer is communicating (or communion) with God Job 22:27 says Thou shalt make thy prayer unto him, and he shall hear thee, and thou shalt pay thy vows.
- Prayer is speaking unto God and hearing from God Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.
- Prayer is pouring your heart unto God 1 Samuel 1:10-13 says And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed unto the Lord, and wept sore…And it came to pass, as she continued praying before the Lord, that Eli marked her mouth…she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard…
- Prayer is asking, seeking and knocking Matthew 7:7-8 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: *For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
- Prayer is looking up to God for help or for a way out Isaiah 38:2-3 Then Hezekiah turned his face toward the wall, and prayed unto the Lord, *And said, Remember now, O Lord, I beseech thee, how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore.
The above definitions looks like we already knew why we should pray, yes! but that’s not all of the main reasons why we should pray. Now let’s answer this question;
What Is Prayer?
- Prayer is a medium (a way) of handling over your challenges and battles unto your father God. 2Chronicle 20:3-18 And Jehoshaphat feared, and set himself to seek the Lord, and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah. *And Judah gathered themselves together, to ask help of the Lord: even out of all the cities of Judah they came to seek the Lord…And all Judah stood before the Lord, with their little ones, their wives, and their children.
- Prayer is a major way to secure divine attention. Mark 10:46-52 And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out, and say, Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me. *And many charged him that he should hold his peace: but he cried the more a great deal, Thou Son of David, have mercy on me…
- Prayer is a way of coming to God. Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest…
You need to know! Men on earth are utterly limited in all things, prayer is require for effective communication in between man and his creator. Jesus thought his disciples how to pray in Matthew 6:9-13 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. *Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. *Give us this day our daily bread. *And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. *And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
When Christians prays; it’s unto God (and) by the authentic authority of the name of Jesus John 14:13-14. says And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. *If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. Without any regard to the name of Jesus, it’s just an effort in futility. Any man of God that does not call the name of Jesus Christ continuously and loudly ‘be far from him less he drag you to hell. It’s recorded in Act 3:1-10 that …Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk… any miracle that is not in the name of Jesus Christ; may not be genuine, be careful! Acts 4:12
WHY DO WE PRAY?
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. So you must pray unto God because of his thought towards you. Listen! The almighty God have a good and peaceful thought concerning you and willing that you should be out of your predicament. That your painful situation is felt by God more than you, he wants you out now but
Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. You have to call on him, otherwise he won’t intervene, if you know that his thought towards you is of peace and good then call on him. If you are full of self and sees God as the one punishing you, then you may remain in your challenges. Do not allow the enemy to blind-fold you. God is for your peace and that is the main reason why we pray. We pray because we know that our heavenly father is there, ever reliable, forever dependable, He can’t fail us. You should pray, because you are praying to him who said he want to give you an expected end.
And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. The main reason why some seek God’s face and yet don’t find him is that until you give God the whole of your attention, you will not have his attention. In this press button jet age, in which most of us goes around with gadgets such as phones, internet equipment, security equipment, fancy cars and other machines. We need to shift our attention (whenever we are praying) from those things if God must take over our battles. Until you seek him with the whole of your heart ‘you won’t find him. This kind prayer secures heaven’s attention 2Chronicle 15:12-15 says And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord God of their fathers with all their heart and with all their soul; *That whosoever would not seek the Lord God of Israel should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. *And they sware unto the Lord with a loud voice, and with shouting, and with trumpets, and with cornets. *And all Judah rejoiced at the oath: for they had sworn with all their heart, and sought him with their whole desire; and he was found of them: and the Lord gave them rest round about.
While prayer is main communication seeking God goes beyond to sacrificing, giving, preaching, winning souls into God’s kingdom, helping others to achieve their good goals, building worship centres unto God and serving God with all your ability. If you can pray because of God’s thought towards you. Your prayer will no more hit the rock. You shall be heard in Jesus name, your answers is sure.
Till we come your way again keep hearing Voices From Zion.
Published Monthly by Ayonimyte Zion Fellowship.
Join Us every Friday 4pm-6pm WAT
Live: on www.ayonimytezion.org online radio